April 03, 2011
Trip factsDays: 25
Grade: Moderate / Adventure
Start From: 2
Ends In: 2
Transportation: Private coach, domestic flights.
Max. Altitute: 5636m
Price on demand
The ancient pre-Buddhist bon religion of Tibet saw mountains as power points linking heaven and earth, and Mount Kailash as the soul Mountain of the kingdom of Zhang Zhung. The struggle for the hearts and minds of Tibetans between traditional Bon and modern Buddhist centered on Kailash, and the story of the contest of Magic between the Bon deity Naro Bon Chung and the Buddhist saint Milarepa to decide which cult could claim the sacred mountain is still told today Legend has it that Milarepa won, but was magnanimous enough in victory to bequeath a nearby peak to the Bon-po and agree that they might still circumambulate Kailash.
The Chinese occupation of Tibet in 1951, subsequent internal unrest and the devastation wrought on Tibetan monastic culture during the Cul.Rov resulted in the hermetic sealing of borders with India and Nepal. Ancient trading links and pilgrimage routes were instantly abolished and many remote frontier communities were pitched into economic oblivion.
In a remarkably conciliatory gesture, the Chinese agreed to reopen the border on the Humla Karnali in northwest Nepal early in 1993, allowing foreigners to approach Mount Kailash on foot legally for the first time in history. Today, it is possible to make your own pilgrimage to kailash through one of the most enchantingly beautiful and unspoiled corners of Nepal, instead of suffering the week-long ordeal of an overland journey from Lhasa. For travelers interested in the ancient history and culture of the Himalaya, this is a unique opportunity.
After our Kailash journey we'll travel through this amazing country, staying in the best traditional hotels Tibet has to offer. In the towns of Lhatse, Gyantse, Shigatse and Lhasa we explore further monasteries and fully immerse ourselves in the Buddhists culture. In addition we will see the highest and biggest lake in Tibet.
- Airport pick up / drop services
- Airfar Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Simikot 250 $
- Airfare Lhasa-Kathmandu. 316 $
- Maoist Donation
- Simikot special permit
- Full board camping during trek
- English speaking Tibetan guide
- Nepalese guide & staff for Camping
- Mule and Yak or porter for carrying luggage in Nepal and Tibet.
- New Model land cruiser and support Truck
- All camping cooking equipment
- All Entry fees for Kailash and other Monastries in Tibet.
- Travel permit
- Tibet visa fee
- Guest houses in Purang, Darchen, Saga , Lhatse & Namtsho
- Hotel in Nepalgunj, Shigatse , Gyantse and Lhasa with Breakfast.
- Emergency evacuation if needed
- Beverages and personal expenses
- Personal equipments
- Travel insurance
- Tips and local donation
- Anything not mentioned above
- Excess baggage Kathmandu to Simikot.
- Lunch and Dinner in Lhatse, Shigatse, Gyantse, Lhasa. & Namtsho.